Click here to order the print book
The Academic Library Administrator's Field Guide
by Bryce Nelson
The daily administration of an academic library often leaves you needing quick advice on the topic at hand. Nelson, an experienced administrator writing from first-hand knowledge, delivers such advice in 30 topical chapters. Each chapter begins with an Assertion, a one-sentence summary allowing you to rapidly scan the book and find what you need. When you are on the job you can dip into this guide for ready-to-use guidance on the full range of administrator responsibilities, such as
- How to think and act politically
- Preparing staff for safety and security procedures
- Influencing student and faculty's perception of the library as a basic component of education
- Fostering librarians' professional identity as teachers
- Communicating effectively, from email messages to meetings
- Assessment and systematic collection of data
Commentary sections in each chapter offer observations and interpretation, with abundant examples of useful advice. If you want to dig further into a topic, a Readings section points you to resources. Packed with insight about the day-to-day operations of the academic library, Nelson's guide will be invaluable to new and experienced administrators alike.
Nelson, Bryce. The Academic Library Administrator's Field Guide. Chicago: ALA, 2014. 273 pp.
2014/softbound/ ISBN 978-0838912232 $59.76