Click here to order the print book
Embedded Business Librarianship for the Public Librarian
by Barbara A. Alvarez
- introduces the concept of embedded business librarianship, emphasizing how it extends beyond outreach to include integration with the business community;
- discusses how the embedded business librarian not only cultivates awareness of the library's resources and expertise, but is also a valued contributor to the business community's conversation;
- recommends research sources and strategies for learning the needs, goals, and partnership opportunities of the local business community;
- outlines a five-step process for reaching out to organizations, businesses, and professionals to cement long-lasting ties;
- details the important differences between business owners, professionals, and job seekers, offering guidance on the best ways to approach and engage them as well as techniques for forming sustainable partnerships with each group;
- shows how to create a co-working space, illustrated using real life examples from libraries that have created their own business spaces for networking and collaboration; and
- talks about the importance of continuing education for the embedded business librarian, highlighting books, blogs, podcasts, news sources, online training, librarian support groups, and other avenues for expanding one's expertise.
Alvarez, Barbara A. Embedded Business Librarianship for the Public Librarian. Chicago, ALA Editions, 2016. 120 pp.
2016/paperback/ ISBN-13: 978-0838914748 $40.