An MLIS can provide the skill set needed to get a library job, but building a library career means knowing how to maximize your potential every step of the way. Benefiting those fresh out of library school as well as experienced professionals, career librarians from every corner of the profession offer a personal, down-to-earth view of "what it's really like out there." Filled with valuable insights into how to better launch and manage a library career, this book addresses important topics like
- How to work and adapt at a new organization
- What management expects and how to view everyday activities from that point of view
- How to make suggestions for change
- Advice on navigating the cyclical nature of a librarian's work year
- The rewards and challenges of professional organizations
- Why a library degree is valuable outside a traditional library setting
Those new to the field will find the contributors' seasoned advice both inspiring and practical, while veterans of the profession will find guidance on retuning their careers in librarianship's changing environment.
Stickell, Lois and Bridgette Sanders, eds. Making the Most of Your Library Career. Chicago: ALA, 2014. 120 pp.
2014/softbound/ ISBN 978-0838911860 $48.