Click here to order the print book
Neal-Schuman Library Technology Companion: A Basic Guide for Library Staff
by John J. Burke
Carrying over the reorganization that made the fifth edition such a convenient learning resource for students and working professionals alike, the newest edition of this comprehensive library technology primer is timelier and more compelling than ever. Burke's guide should be at the top of the reading list for any current or future library professional looking to stay at the forefront of technological advancement. Updated with new case studies to illuminate key areas, its incisive coverage includes
- complete analysis of the librarian's technological toolbox for teaching, security, databases, and more;
- expert advice on how to compare and evaluate competing technology solutions;
- social media, streaming media, and educating patrons about digital privacy;
- makerspaces and other technology programing, including virtual and augmented reality technologies;
- technology lending programs;
- open source catalog systems, discovery layers, and related library management systems;
- websites, web-based services, and free information resources;
- copyright and licensing as they pertain to the use of digital materials;
- new technology predictions for the future, with tips on how to stay up to date with the latest developments; and
- a refreshed glossary of useful terms.
Informed by a large-scale survey of librarians across the spectrum of institution types, this guide will be a true technology companion to readers at all experience levels.
Burke, John J. Neal-Schuman Library Technology Companion: A Basic Guide for Library Staff, 6th edition. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2019. 176 pp. $64.99.